Saturday, November 17, 2012

Time Growing Old Teaches All Things

"Time is the most undefinable yet paradoxical of things; the past is gone, the future is not come, and the present becomes the past even while we attempt to define it, and, like the flash of lightning, at once exists and expires."  ~Charles Caleb Colton


Wow. I have had a crazy three weeks. 
My grandparents came into town.
We packed a 5 bedroom house in 3 days.
We held a massive yard sale.
Moved all our belongings into a 1 car garage
stayed in our friends apartment for 10 days,
which included taking care of a farm (literally)
and finally, 
We have moved into our new place
and have been unpacking everything to fit in our 2 bedroom apartment.
whew.
That was a mouthful.

and even though it may sound like a lot,
I feel like time has been flashing by.

Now, this isn't a new concept to me.
I have been feeling this way for a while actually, 
but these last 3 weeks, it has intensified.

Let me rewind for a minute.
When I was a little girl, the one thing I remember my dad telling me was "When you get older, you will blink and the day will be done. Time will flash before your eyes faster than you can ever realize."
I remember laughing at him.
I couldn't believe him because I felt as if days just dragged on, and everything was so far away. 

But one day, when I "grew up" I started to realize that time never works in your favor.
I realized my dad was right. 
I feel as if just yesterday was halloween. I cannot believe that we are already in our 3rd weekend in November.
It's surreal to me that I will be graduating with an associates degree in a few short months.
I cannot fathom the fact that my youngest brother will be 16(!!!!) in a few days. 
I can't believe that I have been working at my "new" job for 3 months!
I dont understand why christmas music is playing. Wasn't it just fourth of july?

Time.

It's only relative to minutes, hours, days.
But what is spent during those measurements of time are what define our lives.
So, instead of fretting over lost time, 
I need to focus on finding it.
Instead of complaining about passing time, 
I need to live it.

and so today, I will spend my 19th birthday thanking God for blessing me with another year on this beautiful, yet broken world.



“Time is priceless, but it’s Free. You can't own it, you can use it. You can spend it. But you can't keep it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.” 
― Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler's Wife









No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Make Me Smile and Smiling's My Favorite!