Monday, July 22, 2013

How We Celebrated National Ice Cream Day...

Last fall, at our favorite neighborhood garage sale, I found a brand new ice cream maker for $5. I had grand visions of hand-cranking the best tasting homemade ice cream, so of course I jumped at the price. 
{seeing that the particular Ice Cream Maker  I found retails for $54 on Amazon}
I gave it to my grandparents knowing that we would get more use out of it over the summer up at their place. Well, the time had come and my cousins and I finally took it out of the box to make our very own homemade ice cream. 

We got all of the ingredients together,chilled the mixture and bowl and layered the rock salt and ice.
It was a lot of work. 
Ha... little did I know.
You see, I was very adamant about hand-cranking it, (our maker had both the hand-crank and a motorized crank).
I wanted it to be just like the old-fashioned kind.  When I told my grandmother that, she laughed.
Yeah, little did I know that you had to hand-crank it non stop for 40 minutes!!!

Once I read that little detail, I voted to use the motor. 
I think it was a good choice. 


Anyways, 40 minutes later, we had our very own Wendy's Chocolate Frosty ice cream. 
{our forearms were thanking us ;) }

It was gooooood. 
Like really good. 
like I had 4 large scoops good. 

As we were sitting down enjoying our homemade ice cream, my grandma informed us that it was, in fact, National Ice Cream Day.
We literally had no idea!!
but, I have to admit, it was a wonderful way to celebrate. 


If you're interested here is the recipe we used:

Homemade Wendy's Chocolate Frosty

1/2 gallon of chocolate milk
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 container (8 oz) cool whip

Mix all ingredients together and follow instructions of your ice cream maker

1 comment:

  1. We love frosties from Wendy's! I'll have to give this recipe a shot!

    ReplyDelete

Comments Make Me Smile and Smiling's My Favorite!