Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Room Tour Part Two: Closet and Jewelry Storage



Be prepared, this is a picture heavy post. 
and the pictures are yellow and a bit blurry because I had zero natural light to work with.
Oh, another disclaimer: I get quite wordy in this and it ended up being quite a long post. Oops!

My closet is a work in progress. (OK, my entire life is a work in progress)
I still have several things left I want to complete before I can really say it's finished, but let's get real.
I don't ever really know when that's going to happen, so I just need to call it basically done. 

I share my closet with my brother *gasp*
It's not that bad, but still not ideal. I mean, I'm pretty sure I could take up the entire closet with my things, but it is what it is. 
I can't really complain because I do have quite a large closet and compared to my brother's measly one shelf, I have a lot of space. 
So, here's the thing, my closet makes me giddy. I wanted it to be a space that's more than just a place for storage. Weird? I don't care ;) 
 I feel like Carrie Bradshaw every time I walk in
 minus the tulle skirt of course. 

My closet is connected to my bathroom, so here's what you see when you first walk in:
My brother's space is to the right. I'll save your poor eyes because it's a disaster. Just take my word for it. 
The over-the-door shoe rack came from goodwill and was brand new (target). 

I'm kinda anal about how my clothes are organized. I like them separated by sleeve length (short, long and tank tops) but I don't care about putting them in color order. That's too much up-keep!
I don't own any dress pants so I keep all my jeans and shorts in a dresser in my room. So, all I really hang up are my shirts, dresses and skirts. 



 Above, in the chevron baskets, I store all of my purses and bags/backpacks. 
In the houndstooth small dresser below, I store my scarf collection. yes, I just said collection. 
I really like scarves, okay!?!
Okay, so it's not all scarves, I also store pictures and other memorabilia like my yearbooks in it, too. 

 I got this gorgeous olive green Army trunk last year at the longest yard sale. It was in terrible shape, but was only $5! I snatched it up and my grandpa worked really hard to fix it up for me. I love it. One day, when I have my own place, I'll use it as a coffee table or something, but for right now, the only space I have for it is hidden in my closet. I can't remember if I have anything in it... Hmm. I should check. 

Oh, and my grandpa also bought me those cowboy boots (he really is wonderful, isn't he?) and I wore them to my senior prom ;) I like to display them because I just think they're awesome (and mean so much to me)!

 Above that, I store all of my jewelry:
 I had to buy a piece of wood to place on the shelf so I could place things on top of it without them falling through. Silly wire shelving. 

 I just mod-podged (is that how you say that?) some pretty paper on the wood and added some chevron duct tape from the $1 bin at target to the edges and some washi tape to it. I really like how it turned out!

So, I also have a thing for earrings, but in my defense, some of these are my mom's too! 
The bird earring rack came from TJmaxx as well as the red egg carton that holds my stud earrings. 
The yellow bowl holds the jewelry I need to repair. 
I also use a tiered teacup holder that my grandma made for my brother's wedding to hold more earrings.
(You can see it in the picture above this one) 

The first step is admitting I that have a problem. I have a problem.

 with earrings
and clothes
and shoes
and scarves.


but they're sooo pretty. 

Next to that I store my pins, bracelets/watches, rings, and hair accessories. 

The mirror at the top right came from a consignment store, and I just hang this obnoxiously awesome butterfly headband and a piggie ornament leftover from christmas on it. I think I'm going to move them, because it takes away from the mirror. It's really quite lovely. 

The bowls, plates and containers I use to store them all came from Goodwill. The key bracelet thing is from target. 
The Eiffel Tower that I use to hold rings is actually a pencil sharpener that I got from my high school french teacher. 


On the wall, I hung the oval mirror and also used very thin nails to hang my necklaces.
I also stacked a few of my bigger books to make the smaller bird mirror taller (which also holds my headbands that I never end up wearing)


The key hanger came from a yard sale for $1, and I use it to hang my more delicate necklaces. 
another useless piece of info: My grandpa bought that gold diamond heart necklace (it's in the middle behind the pearls and is flipped around to the opposite side in the picture) for my grandmother for their anniversary years ago, and she didn't care for it. She saved it for me, her only granddaughter, and they gave it to me on my 16th birthday. 

 Here's another overview of my jewelry area:

 If you were walking into the closet, here's what the left side looks like
I hang my belts (which I also never wear) from this special hanger I found at TJmaxx. 
The shoe organizers came from target for $3. (also the $ bin)

This is the side that has the mounting 'to-do' list.
In case you were wondering, here's what I have left to accomplish:


Why do I feel like I will finally have made it in life if all my clothes are hung from matching hangers?
No, Seriously. I do. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a beautiful space you have here. I have dreamed of doing this all year and have yet to start the project.

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in a male-dominated house, I've come to love ALL things "girlie!" So of course I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your space!!! Inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So colorful! I've been looking for inspiration to start reorganizing my closet, and this might just be the ticket! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments Make Me Smile and Smiling's My Favorite!