Thursday, May 29, 2014

Book Reviews: The Immortal Life of Henreitta Lacks, The Giver, About a Boy, Paper Towns and The Trouble with Goodbye

Over the past month, I've read quite a few books! I figured, I go through them and give you my thoughts. 

I picked this up without any idea that there was a currently running TV show based off of it. It was funny and clever, but also kinda depressing at times. I hated the ending though, very disappointing. I actually like the TV show better. 


This is one of those books that really makes you think. I almost didn't read it because I kept thinking how boring a book about cells would be, but I was wrong. I couldn't put it down. It's opened my eyes to the world of science and made me really question "What really does belong to us?" Weird, I know, but once you read it you will too!


It may be shocking, but I had never read this book before! I don't know why, but our schools never required it (we read Number the Stars instead). I figured I'd go ahead and read it since the movie is coming out soon (My girl T-swizzle is in it, holla!) Guys, it's good. Like, I can't believe I've never read it before now, good. It's brilliant and thought provoking and I just want to make every middle-schooler read it! It's a pretty quick, easy read so definitely check it out. 


You know I had to at least mention my man, John. All of his books are just so brilliantly magnificent that I just want to, like, steal his mastermind of a brain. The dialogue, the characters, the imagery, the metaphors, everything is great in this book (as usual). I'll admit though, that I began reading this in October and read about 1/3 of it and put it down. I just now picked back up where I left off and didn't put it down until I finished it. It's both hilarious and heartbreaking (not as bad as TFIOS, I shed no tears, don't worry) in a way that only John Green could pull off, but it's just freaking amazing. I don't really agree with classifying it as a YA book (same with TFIOS) because the depth of it is so beyond anything I think that genre could ever fill. Just read it. In fact, if you've never read any John Green books before, I recommend starting with this one!

and finally,
This was an extremely fast and short read. It was okay. It's kinda one of those books that requires no thought so I flew through it. Nothing spectacular, just a cute, cheesy love story! Plus it's free on my Nook, so that's a plus. I'm not sure if I will continue with the series or not.

What are you currently reading?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Make Me Smile and Smiling's My Favorite!