Monday, September 8, 2014

An Update

tap tap... screeeeeeeeach
Is this thing still on?


Welp, that was a really long, unexpected blog break!

I have excuses though! No really!! I do!


For starters, I started school again. I took a break last semester after I got my associates degree, with every intention on going back to get my bachelors. So I've started up at the University of North Texas! I'm taking 5 courses (two online) and am LOVING it so far.

I just smile while walking around campus. Now, don't get me wrong, I certainly don't regret going to community college first but there's something so magical about walking around a university. The trees, the lecture halls, the sororities, the speeding bikers passing by you...it's just this magnificent atmosphere that I am so excited to be apart of. I've also officially declared my major: Interdisciplinary Studies of EC-6th grade with a specialization in Special education.... which is just a bunch of fancy words for an elementary teacher that can also teach special ed!

All of the 5 courses I'm taking are specific to my major which makes them really interesting to me. If you're curious, here are the courses I'm taking: School and community health, Parenting in diverse families, Educational aspects of exceptional learners, musical foundations (which is a really cool class on the power of teaching with music...I have to learn to play guitar for the final!) and Linguistic studies. I'm truly loving them all so far. Ask me again in about 2 months, though!

So needless to say, school has been taking up a lot of my time recently!

Something else though has been a major event in my life over the past three weeks...

My mom and youngest brother have moved to the Sunshine State! I don't know if I've ever mentioned it here on the blog, but we are all originally from Florida, in fact, all of us were born there! It's always been a dream of ours to move back and after over 16 years in Texas and certain things falling into place, it was the perfect time. Currently, my mom is staying with my aunt in Tampa until she finds a job...she has several great leads, so fingers crossed!

Now where am I you ask?
Good question. For a while I thought it was going to be a tent on the campgrounds here in town...but a couple of good family friends offered me a place to stay temporarily. I've felt so much love from family and friends who were all so sweet and kind in welcoming me a place to live. Ultimately, a family friend, Janet, just bought a new house in Denton (where UNT is located) and I thought it was meant to be. She has a whole upstairs she's not using, so we are officially roomies! It's been so nice to be 5 minutes from campus (as opposed to the 1hr 15min drive I was doing). I am so thankful for her and to all of the other friends who were so generous to me!

So with all that being said, the past two weeks, we've packed up our apartment, moved me to Denton and my mom off to FL! There were a lot of tears sending her off, especially knowing that it's just me and my oldest brother left here in TX, but I am so excited for the future. I'm so proud that my mom is following her dreams, proud that my brother is going to be finishing high school early, and proud of myself for being brave enough to live on my own! It's been a huge leap of faith for all of us....but I have faith that we are going towards the right direction.

So anyway, that's what's been going on in my life recently. I'll be back to regular scheduled programming soon :D




3 comments:

  1. You are an amazing lady! Blessings will abound for you!!! Go Mean Green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I missed the fact that you were in TX? This entire time of following I thought you were in FL!! Well, I am a native TX and you know what they say about Texans being proud of their state and so friendly and all. I know that you are going to do amazing things on your journey and you are not alone as I believe God is in the details of your life. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've missed your blog posts but am happy to know things are great with you! College campus ARE magical!!! Everyone should experience it at least once in their lifetime!

    ReplyDelete

Comments Make Me Smile and Smiling's My Favorite!